Couldn't this functionality be extended to the Atlas Anchors?

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: ripe-atlas <ripe-atlas-boun...@ripe.net> On Behalf Of Philip Homburg
Sent: 07 April 2021 10:27
To: ripe-atlas@ripe.net
Subject: Re: [atlas] Feature request for Validated Timestamps

On 2021/04/06 17:04 , Will wrote:
> I'm not sure if there's a process for this sort of feature request
> beyond this mailing list. Would it help if I propose a more concrete
> PR against https://github.com/RIPE-NCC/ripe-atlas-software-probe
> <https://github.com/RIPE-NCC/ripe-atlas-software-probe>

To the extend that you would like secure geolocation in presence of a
malicious probe, it would make sense to me to start with documenting the
protocol you would like to use.

The current way of geolocating probes works by having to probe report round
trip times to a number locations. Obviously, a malicious probe could report
any rtt value.

I'm sure we can come up with a protocol if we have a sufficient number of
trusted servers. However, such a protocol would need to be documented and
deployed on those servers.

Philip