> On 20210916, at 16:28, Max Grobecker <max.grobec...@ml.grobecker.info> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeroen,
>

>> We got CAIDAs spoofer project, but that primarily afaik checks that by doing
>> connections, not by checking ICMP returns.
>>
>> I just saw towards 213.244.71.2 :
>> [...]
>> Which means the whole path till that IP was not doing any kind of RPF....
>> thus spoofing anything else would be possible too.
>

> Maybe I have a wrong imagination on how this spoofing testing is done, but...
> If you spoof the source address you simply can't get any return. Your
> traceroute proves, that your packet leaves the network,
> but it's not proof for, that BCP38 was not implemented.

A traceroute with a spoofed address indeed would not return anything, as you
are not the source.

This is about doing a traceroute, from whatever your host/probe is configured
for, and thus also means that a NAT would change that source address.

For instance a result (towards the above IP) could look like;

11  Bundle-Ether41.br03.mrs01.pccwbtn.net (63.223.38.74)  31.672 ms  31.720 ms
Bundle-Ether42.br03.mrs01.pccwbtn.net (63.223.38.78)  29.302 ms
12  Bundle-Ether41.br03.mrs01.pccwbtn.net (63.223.38.74)  31.549 ms  31.094 ms
31.863 ms
13  63.222.97.82 (63.222.97.82)  76.494 ms 10.74.42.53 (10.74.42.53)  81.986 ms
63.222.97.90 (63.222.97.90)  77.033 ms
14  * * *
15  * * 10.74.19.109 (10.74.19.109)  87.029 ms
16  * * *

which shows that hop 15 was able to respond with RFC1918, all the hops upto
that point are thus not bothering to check if the source was allowed to send; I
can tell you RFC1918 should never be visible there...

Yes, the ISP that allowed this traceroute is very aware of this problem, at
least they filter prefixes at the edge, thus hosts cannot spoof, but their
transit/peering links they can spoof what they want. Which leads to them having
big issues when a spoofed DNS amp DDoS comes in as they have little clue where
it comes from, thus they understand they need to fix this..... but likely many
places, while one can convert this to a dollar amount lost (when a DDoS
happens), there are other more urgent things for them.

> Because IF your packets were forwarded with spoofed source, you won't got any
> response, not even from the first hop.

Correct, but this is more about recognizing where filtering does not happen, as
that indicates that other paths over that route can also spoof if their edges
do not filter at source.

> Obviously, because your false source IP would get the ICMP returns, not your
> probe.
>
> So, IMHO, it's more likely to me your traceroute is proof for a NAT and not
> for spoofing.

If one sees RFC1918 in a traceroute (especially >5 hops away, thus just not the
client->CPE hops), it indicates that every hop in the middle is not filtering
at least RFC1918; more likely they are thus just doing any kind of reverse
prefix filtering aka the largest part of BCP38.

Greets,
 Jeroen