>  but has had the greatly beneficial effect of cutting down on the
absolutely incredible volume of virus/worm/trojan compromised hosts out on
the internet that are probing for open relays or trying repeated
login/password combinations, which does nothing but clutter up log files.

Great to hear it works for you, but the potential unfortunate collateral
from such a blanket action is not really RIPE Atlas' problem. There are
more fine-grained methods against bruteforce attempts and open relay
probes, than triggering on a few connections.

Some webmasters ban IP's for simply visiting a domain, I know one that even
dispatches an email to your ISP's abuse@ address upon visit. Should RIPE
Atlas probes then not probe any HTTP servers? The answer is obviously
no, they shouldn't care.