On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 13:34, Robert Kisteleki <rob...@ripe.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To me it seems that there are oh-so-many ways of packaging and
> distributing this software to the match the multitude of needs (RPMs,
> DEBs, openwrt, docker, VMs, ...) and us giving support to multitude of
> these stretches our resources thin.

Which is why a unified approach is needed.

Drop all SW support and do dedicated VMs only for SW probes?
Drop all SW support and do Docker only for SW probes?

I don't think doing everything with questionable quality is a desired outcome.

What's worse? A lot of outdated, unhandled probes without upgrade
instructions or a slight decrease in the number of probes?

> As I wrote before, such packaging
> would be preferably achieved via professional maintainers.

This is really not that realistic.

Debian and Red Hat repositories are not all designed for this: they
don't update their packages in stable releases, they backport changes
eligible based on their backporting policy, which doesn't address this
problem at all. Vendoring (shipping your own libssl for example) is
also not allowed at least in Debian, I doubt it is in RedHat.

The "number of probes" can't be the only benchmark here, we need to
benchmark "the number of probes properly handled running supported
software".

Lukas