Hi Ernst,

There is no way to know for absolute certain if a probe will be able to carry out a measurement and deliver results. There are a number of factors that prevent a measurement being scheduled on a probe (e.g. it is too busy, it is running an old firmware that doesn't support your measurement options). There are also factors that prevent it delivering results even if it is scheduled (e.g. it disconnects in the meanwhile, it has an issue with its hardware).

Many of these issues can be prevented most of the time by requiring one of the so-called stability tags when selecting your probes. These are tags which mark a probe as recently performing mostly successful measurements e.g. for an IPv4 measurement you could do:

$ ripe-atlas probe-search --asnv4 15435 --status 1 --format csv --field id --limit 50 --no-header --tag system-ipv4-stable-1d

to get a list of probes that have generally had good success with IPv4 measurements in the last day.

In the case you gave, probe 2565 would have been excluded from this list because it has not generally been delivering results for a long while, which you can see here: https://atlas.ripe.net/probes/2565/#tab-builtins

For more info on the various probe tags you can look at the docs here: https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/getting-started/probe-tags.html#system-tags

I hope this helped, please let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Chris