Is there an immediate way to report these probes other than this
mailing list?  I don't know of one and so I'm here :)

Dear Ben and others,

Each new, connected RIPE Atlas probe provides incremental value to the system and its users, but this value decreases with similarity to existing probes ("diminishing returns"). At the same time connecting a probe and processing results from it has some costs, so we'd like to be conscious of the cost/benefit ratio.

Since the potential pool of software probes is almost infinite, in response to the highlighted case, we'd like to propose the following mid-term approach:

* No user/account should be allowed to run more than X SW probes from the same IP (X=3 ?)

* No user/account should be allowed to run more than Y SW probes from the same IPv4/24 IPv6/48 (Y=5 ?)

* Regardless of the user/account, no more than Z SW probes should be allowed from the same IPv4/24 IPv6/48 (Z=10 ?)

X, Y and Z are defaults, can be changed per account. This is done in order to facilitate corner cases and overstepping the limits, if this is warranted (given a good explanation). We are also reaching out to the current "peak users" to understand their use cases and motivations - the above limits can be enforced depending on the responses.

In the longer term we believe a more flexible approach is to base this on what has been termed "probe similarity metrics": a new probe that is really similar to some existing one has less value to the system, therefore after reaching a low enough limit it can be refused, or alternatively, simply not gaining credits for its owner. This diincentivises creating "probe farms".

Regards,