Eric, Jordi,

I'm honestly not a fan, speaking of course purely for myself, of this
proposal.

Job, Jim and others have already covered a lot of the reasons why not.
Yes, I'm fortunate that my company is willing to pay the meeting
registration fee, but for a five day event I still think it's amazing value.

I think it would unquestionably change the nature of the event and the
perception of the WG Chairs (and PC) if the fees were to be waived. It
wouldn't be some terrible disaster, but it would bring about a change,
both in external and internal perception. It would be a slow change,
sure, but it would be there.

I have no objection to the NCC Membership funding the staff and the Exec
Board or the various programmes such as RACI or the RIPE fellows. These
are all very clear cut for me. But all of us who volunteer as WG Chairs
or PC Members are just that, volunteers. We put our hand up knowing the
requirements.

One might hope that an incentive such as is being proposed wouldn't
encourage people to step forward because of it, but I don't believe that
is true. I would prefer if WGs continued to select (not elect!) the
Chairs knowing, insofar as possible, that they wished to serve the
community rather than having any other motivations.

Again, I speak for myself here, not for any other member of the Chairs
Collective or the PC. I'm sure there are members of both groups who
might agree (and that is up to them, of course).

With my member hat on, if we're going to spend more money on RIPE
Meetings (and I believe they are some of the most important things the
NCC spends money on!), then I can think of better things to spend it on
than this, such as increasing the RIPE Fellowship Programme.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Nisbet
Network Operations Manager
HEAnet CLG, Ireland's National Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin D01 X8N7, Ireland
+35316609040 brian.nis...@heanet.ie www.heanet.ie
Registered in Ireland, No. 275301. CRA No. 20036270