My experience:

I use apple lossless, itunes, SB3/Boom and an iPhone

I use iTunes to manage all media (any new rips I add to the "Auto add
to iTunes" folder, but mostly I use iTunes store for new stuff coz it's
a damn sight easier)

SBS keeps itself in sync with iTunes

Itunes transcodes stuff to 128k aac when I plug the iPhone in (My ears
aren't good enough to hear the difference on my crappy Ford stereo /
Sony Ericsson bluetooth headset)

iTunes and SBS handle hi-rez apple lossless fine

SBS transcodes apple lossless to flac on the fly, absolutely without
any problem

It all works perfectly for me, and the beauty of it is that it takes no
effort at all, ever!

--
moley6knipe

dBpoweramp Reference 13.5 > VortexBox 1.7 > SqueezeCenter 7.5.2 > iPeng