Fozzy wrote:
> Am I right in thinking MP3 is one of those formats that requires
> significantly more CPU power to encode than to decode?  If so you could
> always avoid transcoding into it.

Yes that what i do :)

but LMS has a bitrate limiter that uses LAME mp3 , it uses more cpu than
SoX utility to transcode flac wav and hirez .

And it has quality settings , if you use a high quality setting for lame
and bitrate limiting you will see a lot of cpu usage and the cpu must
have fpu for it to work .

Some older x86 cpus has not so great fpu implementations and this shows
in such case ARM just can't use LAME .

I noticed this in the pre spotify age when I used bitrate limiting to
stream music to softsqueeze when staying at hotels or similar locations
away from home with limited bandwith

There is an alternative shine encoder described in the wiki .

There are other use for the bitrate limiter it is actually very usefull
if a wifi player has not so great reception or if you use in the garden
far away from the AP etc.