emalvick wrote:
> IF... your track artists are only set to the album artist, which you
> indicated you do.

well, right, and he was responding to me, where I had just said that.
:)

emalvick wrote:
> While I do tend to think in terms of Album Artist (like you stated), I
> hate to not acknowledge guest artists and such, so I do not go as far as
> you have in setting the Artist = Album Artist.  Of course, I could
> include the guest artist in the title (as others suggest), but it is
> just a matter of preference.

lets not confuse things.  it is the server, not me, which mandates Home
> Artists will be AlbumArtists.  it is one of the biggest drawbacks of
server, that you can't switch between artists and albumartists on the
fly.  server does use the artist info for now playing though.

emalvick wrote:
> I like being able to search or browse for a track artist when the need
> arises, and because I do utilize all artists as they are involved on a
> track, my list is Artists from the main Squeezebox menus are extensive
> and overwhelming.  Thus my reliance on Custom Browse menus to provide an
> Album Artist only menu (as well as a track artist only menu).  Then
> again, searches seem more convenient these days than browsing.  It
> allows me to adjust for permutations of a band or artist names or the
> cases where I've missed a guest artist (but the name is in the track
> title).
>
> Can't complain too much about the flexibility the system has.  It may
> not be perfect, but it can be made to work reasonably well.

when I search, server looks at both my artist and albumartist tags.  the
system is dead though, imo, for lots of reasons, including these.