What kind of files do you have? You say you want ID3v2 tags, and from
that I hope you have MP3 files. If you have FLAC, then you should be
using Vorbis comments and not ID3v2. It is possible to force ID3v2 tags
into FLAC files, but it's not recommended, at least not with
Squeezeboxes.

What you seek is easily done. For FLAC you would put ARTIST=Elvis
Presley and ARTISTSORT=Presely, Elvis. I'm less familiar with tagging
MP3s, but I think the equivalents would be TPE1=Elvis Presley and
TSOP=Presley, Elvis.

The good news (imho) is that a lot of tagging programs will "map" the
intuitive names of Vorbis comments to the somewhat more cryptic ID3v2
framework. The best native Linux tagging program I know of is Puddletag.
The best Windows tagging program that I know of, mp3tag, also works well
in Linux under Wine. Both do the mapping that I referred to in the
preceding paragraph.