d6jg wrote:
> What do people think is the best way of dealing with hidden tracks
> i.e.those that appear at the end of an album after X mins of silence?
> Assume that we are trying to end up with a lossless format track(s) with
> no silence.
> I read somewhere that editing a FLAC with Audacity isn't advisable but
> unsure why.

Just a few days back i had mentioned elsewhere how i like it :)

I like the idea that if i simply play back the album it behaves the way
it was meant.
To have more control over it while i actively listen i prefer to be
able to skip the silence or play the hidden track directly.
I split the last track in 3 parts like Main Track, (Siilence) and Hidden
Track with a wav editor i trust.
Be sure to split at cd frame boundaries or fix it for the 3 resulting
files with something like SBE fix in Little Traders Helper.
The last track will now consist of 3 files ans 3 indexes in the CUE.
Grigory Chudovs CUEtools interprets this correctly and can verify the cd
as before against the AR database ;)
EAC can write it fine with the new CUE and indexes.

Example for Placebo (2000) Black Market Music

TRACK 11 AUDIO
TITLE "Narcoleptic"
PERFORMER "Placebo"
INDEX 00 03:42:33
FILE "11. Narcoleptic.wav" WAVE
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 12 AUDIO
TITLE "Peeping Tom / Black Market Blood"
PERFORMER "Placebo"
INDEX 00 04:21:37
FILE "12. Peeping Tom _ Black Market Blood.wav" WAVE
INDEX 01 00:00:00
Becomes:
TRACK 11 AUDIO
TITLE "Narcoleptic"
PERFORMER "Placebo"
INDEX 00 03:42:33
FILE "11. Narcoleptic.wav" WAVE
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 12 AUDIO
TITLE "Peeping Tom / Black Market Blood"
PERFORMER "Placebo"
INDEX 00 04:21:37
FILE "12. Peeping Tom.wav" WAVE
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "13. (Silence).wav" WAVE
INDEX 02 00:00:00
FILE "14. Black Market Blood (Hidden Track).wav" WAVE
INDEX 03 00:00:00

Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA
monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers