I tried both but the behavior is the same. And I think that the list of
Album Artists when chosing 'Use two separate lists for Album Artists and
All Artists' is identical to the list you get when choosing 'Use single
configurable list for artists' and deselecting all options.
Even the Compilation setting does not change a thing. When I choose
'Group compilation albums together' then I see an extra artist 'Various
Artists' but the X-Files album will not only appear there but still
apear under Mike Oldfield as well.

Also LMS seems to consider any album that has tracks with extra Artists
on them (the 'featuring' type of tracks) as Compilations as well and
shows them both under 'Various Artists' as well as 'Compilations'.