streifenleopard wrote:
> Yes, but this is not the case; I still have to constantly adjust the
> volume. I guess this is due to the fact that the writing of the replay
> gain tags took place over a long period of time (ie ten years or so)
> during which new files were added constantly. This makes the computation
> of relative values so difficult as they are based on comparison between
> these files.
> Also I think it's difficult if you have different file types.

As @slartibartfast points out, replaygain tag info is not based on a
relative loudness of *your* tracks.  Rather, the values are based on a
target value (e.g., 89db or -18 LUFS, etc.).  And this works across
different file types (mp3, FLAC, etc.). I like his hypothesis that you
probably have files WITHOUT replaygain values, thus the need to reach
for the volume control.

Personally, I can't imagine playing my digital files without RG engaged.
SmartGain is brilliant. It automatically uses ALBUM RG values if
playing songs from the same album, but uses TRACK RG values if paying
tracks from different albums.

*Home:* Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
*Office:* Win10(64)>foobar2000
*The Wild: *rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS &
Squeezelite)
*Controllers:* iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin,
or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
*Files:* -Ripping-: dBpoweramp > FLAC; -Post-rip-: mp3tag, PerfectTunes,
TuneFusion; -Streaming:- Spotify