>   If you're running DNS, they should be using that, which will serve
>   an FQDN.
>   If you're not, then /etc/hosts is what will be queried first.
>   ( also, before DNS is running, or if a DNS server can't be reached )
Understood. we use no DNS.

>> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
>> # that require network functionality will fail.
>> 127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain localhost
>   I wouldn't do that !!
>   I can almost guarantee that something will fail with that
>   partially qualified domain name !
Interesting, that is what is in the /etc/hosts file by default on the
Paravel Broadcast Aplliance (Centos 5.5 i believe)

>   You have host names, but what domain ?
Exactly my question....
>   The machine should assume whatever domain is in
>   /etc/networks
>   or in
>   /etc/HOSTNAME

I don't seem to have those files, at least not in /etc...sooo...I still
don't know what top put there. Everything seems to work though so maybe
I shouldn't worry about it?
>   Generally, the machine won't complain, but some apps will.
AS I recall I think it was sendmail complaining, but I think I saw it in
another log as well....

>> also, what is this line for?
>> ::1        localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
>> it was in there from the default.
>   It's a syntax which some OS understand.
>   Depends on the OS.
>   Remember, Linux is NOT an OS !
>   Linux is a kernel.
Right.
>   Since I don't know your OS ( off hand ) I can't know
>   exactly how your machine will interpret that syntax.
>   Several *nix can use that type of short-hand.
Centos 5.5, so it is probably then?

As always, thanks, you are a wealth of information and I appreciate it.

Nathaniel C. Steele
Assistant Chief Engineer/Technical Director
WTRM-FM / TheCrossFM