On Monday 19 December 2011 05:52:47 pm Nathan Steele wrote:
> Interesting, that is what is in the /etc/hosts file by default on the
> Paravel Broadcast Aplliance (Centos 5.5 i believe)

 Well, the thing about an appliance, is that it's supposed to
 be an appliance !
 One shouldn't need to know much ( if anything at all )
 about the underlying OS.
 Consequently, I don't. ( much )

> >   Generally, the machine won't complain, but some apps will.
> AS I recall I think it was sendmail complaining, but I think I saw it in
> another log as well....

 Sendmail !
 Yep. Sendmail *needs* DNS ( or equivalent ) for each and every
 destination and source domain it is being asked to handle.
 Later versions, even more so.
 ( later versions will refuse to pass any domain that doesn't
 resolve, both normally and reverse. Anti-spam. )

 You can do what Fred did at one point in time....
 Don't fake .com or any of the legit top levels, as they will
 likely resolve to something, but you could "invent" a
 fake top level, like ".local" as long as you have something
 running that will tell sendmail where to find that domain IP.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

"I can resist anything but temptation."