Hi,

Just a suggestion, you might want to consider using the rrabuntu install for
the OS and then installing the 2.1.2
packages from Alban.  See the followign post:

http://lists.rivendellaudio.org/pipermail/rivendell-prog/2012-January/001684.html

You already know that Ubuntu 10.04 (the version which RRABuntu is built on)
supports your hardware, so that takes the
hardware woes out of the equation.

Note - i havn't actually done testing on Alban's packages since I've compiled
Rivendell 2.1.2 from source, however I
suspect they'll work for you.

Alternatively you could compile Rivendell 2.1.2 on the RRABuntu install.  It'll
take a little more work and potentially
a little more learning (there are a few articles on the Wiki on how to do
this).  But you already know that RRABuntu
supports your hardware properly, so if you compiled from source you'd have the
latest.  This is what I've done -
compiled from source for both Ubuntu 10.04 and 8.04 (yes - I have some boxes
with 8.04 installed) and while it took me a
bit to figure it all out, I managed to make it all work.

As for the question about the server - if you're not running any of the
Rivendell applications on your server (if it is
just for MySQL and /var/snd storage) then no - you don't need the full
Rivendell installed.  As far as I understand it
shouldn't need Apache either (assuming you're running Apache on one of your
client workstations), although it does not
hurt to have Apache installed.

On the other hand, if you do install the full Rivendell package on your server
and you have a sound card, then the
server itself can act as a backup workstation / playout unit should you need it.