Hi,

The big thing I'd worry about is network latency and potential downtime
if something
goes wrong - to do what you're proposing is going to
require quite a bit of bandwidth to go from your studio to your music
library computer.
Especially if you're going over the public Internet, and going through
campus firewalls, would
there be enough bandwidth with a fast enough connection on each end
for a reliable connection to be able to play your audio files
consistently?  And even if
it is fast enough, what happens if part way through playing audio you
suddenly lose
that connection - a DSL or Cable modem gets unplugged or loses power,
the campus firewall
sees the activity and closes those connections, a router on the public
internet dies and traffic
ends up suddenly going over a different route, etc etc. If it were me
I'd go on the side
of caution and have the music library on the same network as the playout
machine - whether
that's on the actual playout machine or on another machine connected to
the same network.

If it were me what I'd do is have the music library on the studio
computer (or at least on another
computer within the radio station on the same network preferably plugged
into the same switch).
On the web server - unless there's some other  need to run Rivendell I'd
avoid running it.
I'd put together a web page page which would simply allow  people to
upload files to the web
server and it  would dump the files into a generic protected storage
area on that server.  On the studio / Rivendell machine I'd write a
script which would go out to the
web server machine, log into the protected area (WGET, FTP, SFTP. VPN
over SSH, or anything like that -
take your pick), download any files which have been uploaded and then
dump them into a dropbox,
delete the files after they'd been downloaded.  Then I'd schedule the
script through CRON
to run however often want it to run each day.

It wouldn't give the instantaneous result of someone uploading a file to
the website and having it
automagically appear in the Rivendell database, but if someone did
upload a file you know it would
appear after the next scheduled download of that file from the web
server machine (for example if you scheduled the script to run every
hour, then I'd know if I uploaded a file at 3:30, it would end up in the
Rivendell database just after 4:00)

By taking this approach you'd be avoiding potential issues with your
campus firewall and also potentially
upsetting the campus IT people since all connections to your web server
would be outbound.  You'd also
eliminate the problems that could occur with network latency if you were
trying to mount the share
across the internet.

Anyways, those are just some thoughts.

Lorne Tyndale