On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 20:38 +0200, Morten Krarup Nielsen wrote:
> Robert, I forgot to tell, that though the client machines are
> connected through the open internet, they are connected to the local
> network of the Rivendell server via VPN. So I thought that the clients
> could be connected direct to the server MySQL without any problems?
> It's only /var/snd that needs to be cached/synced because of the slow
> network speed.

Hmmm

it's posible to have the remote site to record audio that gets stored
locally and forwarded to the server.

I would have a button that runs rsync when the tracks are completed.

using the server db there is no problem with allocation of numbers.

and for the remote to update new tracks as they are added to the server.

this could be initiated from the server when the new tracks are added.

This is ok for a few tracks each day, but could be tedious. I have a
couple of remote servers we update with a USB drive every couple of
weeks, with only the pressing stuff updated on line. When they are
loaded they go into a group that does not schedule and are migrated out
of the holding group only when all the remotes are updated. OK in our
format which is not time critical may not work in a CHR.

But you have given me an idea which I will try.

regards

Robert