On Tuesday 15 January 2013 08:11:27 pm VE4PER/ Andy wrote:
> Same linux userID and password on both boxes only diff I can see is
> centos numeric user ID associated with normal userID is different in
> each box; but likely same with other ubuntu boxes as well no?

 *nix user ID's are numeric. ( as recorded in the local passwd file )
 The alpha representation is for human consumption only.

 Same on other boxes ? No, not as a rule, unless the user accounts
 were created under exactly the same circumstances, and in exactly
 the same order, starting from the same numeric ID.
 Then, maybe.
 That's partly why useradd and adduser both allow one to manually
 enter the user ID ( numeric ) at account creation, if not already
 taken.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com