>> Does anybody know whether this is solved by using an external video card?

My thoughts would be to first try tweaking features/options for your video card
in xorg.conf.   What kind of video card is in the computer?
Information can be gotten from:
# lspci
(from a shell prompt, and see what kind of video it has), but better yet is to
look at the output of " less /var/log/Xorg.0.log".

Note that once you figure out what Xorg video driver is being loaded, you
should be able to do:
# man <video driver>
Examples: man intel
                      man nouveau
                      man radeon

And get a list of options that you can use to try to get more stable operation.

Finally, what OS version are you using, what version of Xorg, What version of
the Linux Kernel?

Also note that many video systems, such as ones that are/were considered "high
performance" tend to "wear out" (or wear out the power supplies driving them)
because they take lots of power, and make lots of heat, so therefore are often
short-lived.

PS:  I have been running on a couple if different variations of Intel
integrated video system from the last few years just fine.