You might consider Steve Gibson's SpinRite 6.0 by Gibson Research Corporation
(grc.com).

Many of his customers do just that - they run SpinRite on NEW drives (even
though it's often used as a preventive maintenance or disaster recovery
utility).  It puts them through their paces and analyzes them thoroughly.  I
believe it does mark marginal bad sectors as "bad" if it cannot revitalize them.

I actually used SpinRite (I think v1.0 !) regularly on my first hard drive
(30MB RLL!).  That product has been around for about 30 years, and is
legitimate.  He's re-writing it currently from the ground up, and if you buy
the current version (6.0), upgrades to 6.x and 7.0 (the new re-written one)
will be free.  I think the price is around $89.00.

He also has a great weekly podcast called Security Now! you might check out.

I have no formal affiliation with grc.com - this is just a personal
recommendation.

Cheers,
Rick Quendun
KMUZ Engineering