On 2014-07-03 14:53, Tom wrote:
Good Afternoon
We have Rivendell set up so that it spits out a nowplay.txt file each
time the song changes in rivendell. We have done this by adding the
following RML command into the 'Edit Now & Next Window' RN echo %a -
%t>/home/rd1/export/playing.txt!
The script works however the script, at irregular intervals, appears
to stop working. Upon investigation it looks as though whenever a & or
an apostrophe enters the title or artist field, it appears to stop
working! Is there a reason for this or indeed does anybody have a
solution for this?

Hi. It's not an rivendell issue. It's a shel 'problem'.

RN echo %a - %t>/home/rd1/export/playing.txt!

will run a shell command and %a / %t will be replaced by the artist and title text. When a field contains a bash/shell special char it will break or do nasty stuff on your system

You could try to escape/encapsulate the string in quotes like this:

RN echo '%a - %t'>/home/rd1/export/playing.txt!

or

RN echo "%a - %t">/home/rd1/export/playing.txt!

this way the & will not be interpreted as shell special char.
but… the first one will break if there is a ' in the string, second one will break if there is a " in the string.

Instead try please try to use rivendell modules. There are several rlm's that do title streaming to servers and textfiles:

http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/Streaming_from_Rivendell

Best regards
Sascha

--