However consider that rdimport convert your imported music into plain
wave first. In that stage it operates with frequency resolution
44.1kHz <-> 48kHz (according to your source and target settings) and
normalization (-13 dBFS is the default). For this reason original and
imported audio file will probably be quite different, therefore extra
bitrate is not a waste of hd space (in my opinion).
Moreover consider that Rivendell chooses mp2 as compressing coding,
and it is quite different compared to mp3. Mp3 outperforms mp2 at the
same bitrate, so from a theoretical point of view your imported
mp3@256kbps will probably sound even "better" than imported
mp2@384kbps.
As always it depends... and it's a matter of what you actually want to achieve.

Alessio