> Moreover consider that Rivendell chooses mp2 as compressing coding,
> and it is quite different compared to mp3. Mp3 outperforms mp2 at the
> same bitrate, so from a theoretical point of view your imported
> mp3@256kbps will probably sound even "better" than imported
> mp2@384kbps.

I am not looking to start an MP2 / MP3 debate, but I have always found
that MP2's sound a whole lot better then MP3's, provided the source that
the file is compressed from is original uncompressed audio.  Furthermore
it has been shown that mp2's (when compressed from a raw / uncompressed
audio format) get through a broadcast audio chain a lot cleaner then
mp3's.

Having said that, storage is cheap now days.  Your best performance will
be uncompressed raw / PCM audio (or as some call it, WAV - even though
.wav is in reality just a container for audio)

Lorne Tyndale