> On Feb 6, 2015, at 12:42 38, James L. Stewart <jstew...@paceaudio.com> wrote:
>
> On the RPI audio output.  I seem to remember someone claiming the audio
> output of the RPI being inferior in some way such as it only really being
> about 14-bit resolution.  (I think "CD audio" is also only 14-bit with an
> algorithm that fakes it up to 16 bits).

Standard ‘Red Book’ CD audio is linear 16 bit stereo PCM (big endian) at 44100
samples/sec with no companding.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Digital_Audio.

There is also a quadraphonic (4 channel) mode defined, but it is very seldom
encountered In The Field.

>  It seems to sound okay to me, but perhaps I am not listening critically
> enough.  The RPI does play (and record) just fine using USB audio devices (as
> I'm sure the BBB does too), but I am concerned that just about all I/O (like
> Ethernet) on the RPI is "funneled" into its (eventually single) USB input so
> I think one needs to be careful not to overload this bus.

IIRC, the onboard audio (output only) is also implemented via the USB
subsystem.  My experience is all with Gen 1 units, so take it with a large
grain of salt.