On Thu, 12 Mar 2015, Robert wrote:

On 03/12/2015 08:17 AM, Rob Landry wrote:

At 12:55, the playing song has one minute to go. The Make Next
activates, dumping the following song, making the first spot the next
event.

You do have to set this up with enough slop to allow for the variation in song lengths.

As one of the architects of the World Classical Network syndicated format, I have done a lot of experimentation with timed events, and concluded that it's never safe to put one after anything that needs to air. A timed event is effectively a "skip the preceding event or few if the clock says X". You can try to insure that the clock never says X until after the previous event has started, but that's perilous; it's too easy for things to go awry.

In a Music hour putting two or three Time Ratchet events in the last 15 or 20 minutes may be necessary.

If the hour needs to time out, insert a single timed event where you want the hour to end, but before any end-of-hour spot break, so that only sings get skipped. If you need to catch news precisely on the hour, you may need to fade the current song down and make the timed event Run Immediately.

If you need to catch news on the half hour, then do the same thing leading up to the half hour.

I would roll the money and the weather and the other announcements after the Top Of The Hour ID

That's what we do in WCN drive time hours, where affiliates may want to run news on the hour. The rest of the time we end the hour at :56:00 and run spots.

Rob