On Monday 16 March 2015 01:47:56 am Lorne Tyndale wrote:

> For Option 2, this would be pretty straight forward.  Install Linux (the
> broadcast appliance) as a mirrored / RAID setup, install Rivendell then
> restore your /var/snd and your database.  And as long as you use the
> same machine name and IP address you'll be back up and running in no
> time.   While you might not learn as much about the inner workings of
> Linux, in some ways this may be more valuable to you as you will learn
> how to restore a Rivendell database and audio files from a backup and
> get the system back up and running.

 Since he mentioned an LPFM, this is the option I would recommend.
 One can learn on their own time.
 When a station is down, and your audience is ( permanently ) leaving,
 is not the time to learn the quickest best way back on the air.

> I will mention unless you're using a system with a high-end RAID
> controller card, I'd recommend going with the Linux software-based RAID
> setup as opposed to some of the RAID setups they have on some
> motherboards.

 HEAR ! HEAR !

> The reason?  Aside from the fact that  a lot of the
> onboard RAID's only seem to work with Windows, if something happens to
> fry your system's motherboard, if you've used the Linux software RAID
> then you can install your hard disks in another system and it'll still
> see your RAID array.

 Not to mention that should you lose hardware and one disk, the remaining disk
 can most often be read on/by most any modern linux.

> If you use an onboard / hardware based RAID then
> you're stuck looking for something with an identical chipset.

 Often worse !
 I've seen ( too often ) where even identical chipsets identical controllers
 will not read ( or even recognize ) disks created by another.

 Hardware RAID is strictly for performance, not data security.

 Linux software RAID can be set to e-mail or otherwise notify you when
 something goes worng. Most hardware RAID, you know nothing, until
 all is catastrophically lost.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

Am I ranting?  I hope so.  My ranting gets raves.