I did what you mentioned when we played the news-file at a the same time
every hour. But I got tired of cutting the song at the top of the hour.

But now we play the news-file when the currently playing song finishes. So
the only way RDairplay knows when to skip to the next item, is when there's
simply no more audio in the file, but now we got the noise at the end.