On 5/6/2015 11:18 PM, rivendell-dev-requ...@lists.rivendellaudio.org wrote:
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 13:49:05 -0400
From: Cowboy<c...@cwf1.com>
To:rivendell-dev@lists.rivendellaudio.org
Subject: Re: [RDD] newer linux kernel

On Wednesday 06 May 2015 09:27:34 am Joey Alcala wrote:
>I want to run rivendell on the newest/ most modern kernel (and desktop
>environment) possible
  For all of the reasons already stated, I would not !
In conclusion of my previous length post on on this: I agree and would not either unless you first experiment with what you are getting yourself into.
>Preferably ubuntu or debian.
  If those are the choices, Debian Stable.

  Ubuntu is known to be derived from Debian UNSTABLE,
  not even as reliable as Debian Testing, the equivalent of beta.
  If it has to be Ubuntu, then I would strongly lean toward the
  "officially" unsupported RRUbuntu package.
  Although derived from an unstable ( alpha ) Debian, it's mostly
  been debuged by the maintainer.
Ubuntu is actually based on their own repositories which divorced from Debian long ago, other than they often import then rebuild packages from Debian. This is often worse in my opinion as with Ubuntu insanely fast release cycle, often their quality suffers as they try to be more on the "bleeding edge" instead. Ubuntu is more for people wishing the latest and greatest with a reasonable amount of polish, but never working quite perfectly. If you still want to go Ubuntu, I'd go with the "LTS" versions (like 10.04 was) as they seem to spend a little more time on the polish part on these releases and then support them longer with even more polish and fixes later.

I actually find Debian "UNSTABLE" to be quite reliable (once the package manager is actually happy with what you are trying to install or update). It is less bleeding edge than a typical Ubuntu release. The problem is that by "unstable" they mean "always changing", meaning constant updates which will drive you absolutely crazy on a critical 24/7 "production" machine, so don't use it for this, but for other reasons than what is stated above.

  Now that Debian is moving away from tried and true init and toward
  a solution looking for a problem, systemd, who knows how long
  RRUbintu will last in a familiar form ?
Yea, systemd, designed and implemented by Red Hat and therefor has been used on CentOS since version 7. The only problem I've had with systemd on Debian (other than I really don't know how to use it yet), is that sometimes some services try to start too soon in the boot process and fail to start correctly. I'm sure there is a straight forward way to fix this, but I don't know what it is yet. I believe the old SysV init system is still available on Debian, at least for now, just not installed by default.

Then you have Ubuntu that uses their own, yet another init system called "upstart". So hence an example of one of the criticisms of Linux OS that every distribution and every version can be radically different from the others causing lots of confusion for everyone.