On Fri, 12 Jun 2015, Christian Pointner wrote:

On Jun 12, 2015, at 11:16 43, Rob Landry <41001...@interpring.com> wrote:

Debian 8 won't start the Rivendell daemons at boot; it runs something called systemd that seems to want to start everything at the same time instead of in their proper order.

This is a little too simplistic and not what systemd really does.

I'm sure it is. In my work, I don't particularly care about how long something takes to boot. I expect my machines to run for months between reboots; I had one that ran for more than four years, and only took it down because the UPS needed new batteries.

The old System V init mechanism works fine; why mess with it?

For that matter, Gnome 2 worked very well, and they went and broke it; supposedly, Gnome 3 is better adapted to tablets and smartphones, but who runs Debian or Red Hat on any of those?

Ok, I'm an old fuddy-duddy; I'd rather pound a Morse code key than use my phone for text messages.

Rob