On Wed, 19 Aug 2015, Cowboy wrote:

1. Virtual machines are highly discouraged.
  They don't lend themselves to "hard" real time applications very well.
   ( nor soft real time, either, really )

This is an unusual application: a "student radio station" that is an Internet stream, automated 24/7, for which students pre-record programs and Rivendell runs them automatically. It has a zero-dollar budget; I was asked to use whatever spare capacity the radio station could afford: either a virtual machine on a reasonably modern box that does other things as well, or one of several decade-old cast-off Dell Optiplex 260's or 280's. We ran it on a 280 for a year and a half, but it's not reliable, so we're trying a VM.

The sole reason for this "station" to exist is to satisfy some University bigwig who feels the radio station needs to justify its existence by involving students in some way. The station is owned by a university but plays no role in the university's educational mission. To be honest, it is something of a mystery to me why the University is in the radio business at all.

As far as I know there are zero listeners for this service and less than a handful of student contributors. Their programs account for four or five hours a week of the Internet stream; the rest is programmed by rdlogmanager using whatever music the students have imported.

Rob