You have to use the AUX log for this otherwise the Main log will just stop and be silent for 5 seconds.

Create a macro cart with these commands:

001 PS 0 5000! <-- This fades down log 0 (the main log) over 5000 ms
002 SP 5100! <-- This waits for 5100 ms before doing anything else otherwise your fade starts and instantly gets cut off
003 PN 1! <-- This plays the next item in the main log

What you would do is then have an AUX log with timed events at 6 seconds or so before the hour. What I do is this:

Main Log: 6 seconds before the hour, a timed event that performs a make next on the TOH block
AUX Log: 5 seconds before the hour, fade and play next.

This repeats for every hour. Make sure you have a chain event at the end of the AUX log that reloads the same AUX Log otherwise Rivendell won't allow already played events to repeat (this includes timed macros).

Wayne Merricks
The Voice Asia