I must confess that I've not yet delved into the world of PPAs.  However, it is
something that I hope to get round to looking into at some point soon.  I've
also read that snappy packages seem to have become a popular idea and taken on
a life of their own, so as you say, this may be the path to follow.

I terms of supported versions of Ubuntu, I'm sticking with Ubuntu server 14.04
as it's LTS, and also for the client machines, I'm running Linux Mint Mate 17.3
as this is again based on Ubuntu 14.04 so there is the support.  I'm going to
be controversial and say that I don't think it is worth trying to support the
non LTS versions of Ubuntu in the broadcast environment, as these only having 9
months of supported updates, will soon be out of support for the OS.

The 16.04 Ubuntu release has not yet inspired me with confidence in terms of
it's stability.  Installing Kubuntu 16.04 on my laptop caused me no end of
networking issues for the first month.  There is a long list of posts about
these, and it was only a couple of weeks ago that the issues were resolved.  I
also get regular crashes of the graphics rendering engine which I never had
under 15.10.

Andy

---- On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:06:29 +0100 Wayne Merricks  wrote ----