On Jun 21, 2016, at 09:18, Andy Higginson <a...@higgles.co.uk> wrote:

> As far as the CentOS version goes, I've just installed that onto a test
> machine, and when I get time, I'm having a play.  Being used to the regular
> updates of Ubuntu etc, the one thing that did surprise me was the Kernel
> version and age of the OS.  However, I suppose that this only really needs to
> be updated to support major new pieces of hardware, and that stability is the
> most important thing in the broadcast world.

Correct.  That is the whole philosophy of an ‘Enterprise’ distro in a nutshell.
 Security fixes from subsequent kernels and userland utils are back ported by
RedHat and then distributed as sub-point updates, so the system stays ‘current’
where it counts while also remaining stable.  This is all-important when
dealing with large deployments.

>  Is it worth me taking a look at the beta CentOS 7 version of the appliance
> or should I forget this for now?

Rivendell has actually been working well on CentOS 7 for some time.  The
Appliance however has been problematical because Kickstart (the system that
allows automated installations) does not play well with the current UEFI BIOes.