I concur Lorne. I can *compile* a version with support built in. I was
asking Fred to consider releasing the "reference" version of official
packages with that support enabled.

I hadn't thought about the intellectual property encumbrances of the
codecs or file formats. And here
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding#Licensing_and_patents)
is the answer to my question. The codec can only be transferred in
*source* format.

Fred, I withdraw my request. Apologies for wasting bandwidth.

  ~David