Interested in working with you on this.  I have GPIO on the task list. Did you make changes to /boot/config.txt for the gpio setup?

Did you download your currect SD image from Sourceforge? This has about 4 or 5 bugs I remember. Especially the apache setup is incomplete.

DEBIAN 8 : cd /etc/apache2/conf-enabled
sudo vi rivendell.conf (new file) and insert

DEBIAN 7 :   cd /etc/apache2/conf.d
sudo vi rivendell (new file) and insert

------------------

# rdfeed.conf
#
# This is the Apache Web Server configuration for Rivendell.
#
#   (C) Copyright 2007,2010 Fred Gleason <fr...@paravelsystems.com>
#
#      $Id: rd-bin.conf.in,v 1.4 2010/07/29 19:32:30 cvs Exp $
#
#   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
#   published by the Free Software Foundation.
#
#   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#   GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
#   License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
#   Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.
#

<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/rivendell">
  Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  <Files *.gif>
    SetHandler default-handler
  </Files>
  <Files *.png>
    SetHandler default-handler
  </Files>
  <Files *.js>
    SetHandler default-handler
  </Files>
  <Files *.html>
    SetHandler default-handler
  </Files>
  <Files *.xml>
    SetHandler cgi-script
  </Files>
  <Files *.cgi>
    SetHandler cgi-script
  </Files>
  <Files *.mp3>
    SetHandler cgi-script
  </Files>
</Directory>
ScriptAlias /rd-bin/ "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/rivendell/"

--------------------------------

cd /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
sudo mkdir rivendell
cd rivendell
sudo cp /var/www/rd-bin/* .
sudo chmod 4755 rdxport.cgi
cd /var/www/rd-bin
sudo chmod 4755 rdxport.cgi

DEBIAN 8 : sudo a2enmod cgi
cd /etc/apache2/
sudo mkdir conf.d
cd conf.d
sudo cp /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/rivendell.conf .

Now get into the Pi's root account by changing it's password by running sudo passwd root

to keep rivendell running 24/7 pi modifications as follows

crash cause 1: use AT LEAST 3 amp adapter

crash cause 2: use a-brand sd card like Samsung

crash cause 3: install network-manager

crash cause 4:turn off switch printer to local in vnc and set clourfb in expert settings to false

vnc>printing>allow the default printer to be changed off !

ad this point I also manually created /var/log/vncserver-x11.log because it was not there

touch /var/log/vncserver-x11.log

chown pi:root /var/log/vncserver-x11.log

crash cause 5:turn off the onboardwifi

sudo vi /boot/config.txt

add this line after #dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi

crash cause 6:

sudo systemctl disable triggerhappy.socket

If Rivendell still hangs get me the appropriate log messages

regards from Holland, Rick