Try adding your new user to the rd group and setting the group permissions on
the shares to rw.

Glenn

________________________________
From: rivendell-dev-boun...@lists.rivendellaudio.org
<rivendell-dev-boun...@lists.rivendellaudio.org> on behalf of Alan Smith
<alansm...@flinn.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 12:35
To: User discussion about the Rivendell Radio Automation System
Subject: [RDD] Relocating shared folders

External Email Advisory: This message originated outside the WHRO network. Use
caution when opening attachments, clicking links, and/or responding to requests
for information.

The short version:

Would it upset Rivendell in any way if I relocated the network shared
folders to a world writable location?

This in on the script install of 2.19.3 I believe it is on CentOS7.

The longer version:

   I know there are lots of ways to skin a cat, but this is how I prefer
to do it:

I have VNC setup to access to real physical display.

I also have a VNC service setup to access a virtual display/kb/mouse.
Through experimentation I found I had to create a separate user to do
this.  Trying to connect to a virtual display with a user that is
already logged into the primary display created an infinite loop.

Anyway, the purpose of this 2nd user is for clock and log generation and
maintenance.  Works wonderfully and in the background so it doesn't
interfere with the on-air staff.  The problem is, and I have posted this
before, but it has become more of an issue, is this other newly created
user doesn't have permissions to access the network shares located in
rd's home folder.  Rather that batting with trying to allow access to
those folders, I think it would be easier to just re-create them in a
different location, such as /var/shares perhaps.

I know this probably isn't the best way to do this, but with the Windows
ports going away, I looked at xming and vnc for remote access
capabilities, and well...vnc won out.

Thanks,

-Alan

Glenn Hickman
Senior Radio Frequency Engineer

[WHRO Public Media]<https://www.whro.org/>

5200 Hampton Boulevard | Norfolk, VA 23508
P:757-575-5064
whro.org

[https://images.whro.org/DowntonAbbey.jpg]<https://mediaplayer.whro.org/program/downton-abbey>