On Tue, 24 Sep 2019, Alan Smith wrote:

Would it upset Rivendell in any way if I relocated the network shared folders to a world writable location?

Which folders do you mean?

I have VNC setup to access to real physical display.

As do most of the stations I deal with.

I also have a VNC service setup to access a virtual display/kb/mouse.

Do you mean a virtual desktop? I have one client that uses those, but only because he installs Rivendell machines at affiliates of his network and doesn't want the affiliates to see the Rivendell desktop.

Through experimentation I found I had to create a separate user to do this.  Trying to connect to a virtual display with a user that is already logged into the primary display created an infinite loop.

I have not had that experience.

Anyway, the purpose of this 2nd user is for clock and log generation and maintenance.

We just connect with ssh -X and then run rdlogedit or rdlogmanager. VNC is only necessary if you need to see the same destop that the live operator sees.

The problem is, and I have posted this before, but it has become more of an issue, is this other newly created user doesn't have permissions to access the network shares located in rd's home folder.

Add the new user to the group 'rd' and change the folder and file permissions accordingly.

Rob