Hi,
Thanks guys but I have found my problem myself...
Seems I needed to understand a little more about Linux user accounts, Samba shares and Rivendell. Not trying to teach Granny to suck eggs... but for other noobs to Rivendell, and/or Linux this is what I found.

Make sure you use the same username/password, to map to your network share, from Rivendell machine as the Linux /Rivendell/ logon account credentials. In my case it was/rd/password/. What is important as you might expect, is to get permissions correct. The Rivendell Playout system 'presenter' account (default='user') was not the problem and can be ignored for this operation.

So now, when importing audio files with RDLibrary you can browse your network share from within Rivendell (not just with a file manager). Create a mount point directory in //home///rd/ for your Samba share, it should then be listed along with the Rivendell '/rd/' account, pre-created directories, such as /music-export/, /music_import/, /traffic_import/... etc. You should then be able to 'pick' files from your network share. All Rivendell imported transcoded audio is stored in /var/snd.

I built Rivendell on an 160Gb SSD, for learning and testing, two questions are:

1. What is the better choice, an additional internal Library HDD or
   just one single huge HDD for Linux and Library.
2. Can Rivendell use a networked share as the Library.

Sorry I haven't drilled the lists for the answer to question 2 yet.
Thanks
Chris Perkins