Drew,

Thanks, I'll take a look at it and see what I can make work.

I've been doing content prep for the Port Townsend Film Festival and a couple years ago we converted to Digital Cinema Package (DCP) for the whole festival. It's kind of a disk hog because all the video is frame by frame in JPEG2000. The upside is that it's a standard that already exists for playout in theaters driven by xml.

One hour of 1080p video will have a max file size of about 113 GB. A weeks worth of video (if you didn't repeat anything) would be about 20 TB. A month is about 90 TB. A 12 drive RAID6 array for a month's content would be about $3,300 for the disks and another ~$500 for a used SAN box?

In DCP every video is a file that has a several constituent files that contain the video and audio and all the metadata.  In a theater, these DCP directories are strung together on an xml "play list" that also does things like open and close curtains and change the house light settings.

I personally do mostly 60 min. shows on Rivendell and it seems like it takes forever to ingest a show (~1/4 real time). I suspect that most of that has to do with the amount of CPU time it takes to normalize 60 minutes of audio, but a normalization certainly happens a lot faster in Audacity. It might be that the bottleneck is reading and writing to the NAS that has /var/snd on it over a 1Gbe network. Who knows... When I'm building DCP sets it takes about 3/4 real time to process a video with a 64 core (4 - 8 core Xeon processors, 2 Hyperthreads per core) and an 8 drive RAID 0 SSD array and 128 GB memory. An entirely different scale of thing. The idea of ingesting videos makes me shudder a little. :)

- Bill