On Jun 12, 2021, at 08:47, Alejandro Olivan Alvarez
<alejandro.olivan.alva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Although, In my case, switch experiments over ASI card were successful,
> switching over Jackd Interface where troublesome... but, anyways, what I
> discovered is that, sometimes, you RESTART rivendell and a given, nonworking
> RML SA/SR, starts to work.
>
> It is well documented that, upon re-congig/tweak on RDAdmin, a
> reivendell-restart could be needed (not always)... The thing is that,
> sometimes, a rivendell-restart seems not to be enough, and the RML SA/ST
> keeps having no effect whatsoever... so maybe even a full system reboot could
> be needed

With the exception of (some) things related to JACK, it should never be
necessary to restart the rivendell service after making configuration changes
in rdadmin(1). If you find a situation where that is necessary, please report
it as a bug!

> (maybe for a full caed restart... I'm speculating here)

Restarting the ‘rivendell’ service *does* do a full caed(8) restart.

> Yesterday I missed very very much any way to monitor the
> crosspoint/switching/routing status of a Switch device (Maybe there's some
> way to get it!?!?!)... but I didn't find it. Also, there seems to be not
> feed-back upon the RML execution... you throw it, and that's all... I found
> myself faithfully believing it was applied/working... so this part is
> incredibly hard to troubleshoot.

Agreed. There are some formidable practical obstacles however; starting with
the fact that some of the supported devices —e.g. Grass Valley GVC 7000
protocol — provide no mechanism for reading the actual state of the switching
matrix. For those devices, Rivendell itself is in the situation of having to
fire off protocol messages in the pious hope that they actually work, with no
means for determining that that is actually so.

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |