On Feb 28, 2022, at 04:01, Alejandro olivan Alvarez
<alejandro.olivan.alva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I'm starting to think that maybe it would be an interesting and
> relatively quick move, to use the 4.X successful debian-packaging experience,
> to officially port it to the 3.X code (even if this limits target systems to
> past-gen qt4-enabled Debian-derivative systems) as a kind of quick way to
> have a stop-gap/time-buying intermediate-point while 4.X gets ready.

Unfortunately, the packaging challenge is only part of the problem with
Rivendell v3.x. on current Debian/Ubuntu. Much larger than that are the issues
with RDBMS (MySQL/MariaDB) compatibility. A big part of doing v4.x was checking
(and in many cases, remediating) every SQL statement in the codebase to ensure
compatibility with current MySQL/MariaDB versions. There are literally hundreds
of such statements in Rivendell.

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|         A room without books is like a body without a soul.         |
|                                                         -- Cicero   |