On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 23:42 +0100, Peo Nilsson wrote:
> Dear listmembers.
>

> I found a wrong information in the config file of rkhunter 1.3.0.
> Thought I would post it so ppl after me will be guided right.
>
> I run FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE and in the rkhunter.conf the information
> regarding HASH_FLD_IDX says:
>
> ...<snap>
> The default value is one, but for *BSD users
> rkhunter will automatically use a value of 4.
> <snap>...
>
> On FreeBSD 6.2, 'man cksum' says:
>
> ...<snap>
> The cksum utility writes to the standard output three whitespace
> sepa--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> rated fields for each input file. These fields are a checksum CRC, the
> total number of octets in the file and the file name.
> <snap>...
>
> So for FreeBSD 6.2-Release the HASH_FLD_IDX should be set to 1, *not*
> 4 as the info in config file says.

Hello,

Well yes, no or possibly! As far as I can tell the current OpenBSD,
FreeBSD and NetBSD man pages all say the same thing in this respect.
However, it depends on what you have set your HASH_FUNC option to. Since
by default RKH will look for 'sha1sum', and if not found then 'sha1',
under NetBSD 3.1 the sha1 command (because NetBSD has no sha1sum) gives:

   {NetBSD}: sha1 /bin/ps
   SHA1 (/bin/ps) = 9c8cd421f6fa8dd55fd2ecbc7d76b7f13027e91a

As can be seen, the hash field index must be 4 in this case.

Can you run the same command ('sha1 /bin/ps') under FreeBSD and let me
know what it shows please.

Ironically though, I see in the rkhunter.conf file, I have given as an
example the following:

   #   For NetBSD    : HASH_FUNC="cksum -n -a sha512"

This command will actually produce the hash value as the first field, so
HASH_FLD_IDX should be 1 in this example! I should perhaps comment that
in as well. Alternatively is to remove the '-n', which will then give
the output requiring HASH_FLD_IDX to be 4 again.

John.