On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 02:02 -0600, Eric Wingate wrote:
> Is it possible to change the default paths RKhunter searches in?  I am
> trying to get rkhunter to totally ignore anything within /dev/shm,
> because we have large amounts of cache files in /dev/shm/ that are
> constantly being written, so it takes rkhunter a long time to run and
> check these cache files.  I know i can whitelist these files, but
> rkhunter still has to check them and this causes problems for us
> because rkhunter can take up to several days to complete a single run.
>

> It has to search through 20GB of cache data sometimes.  If i can get
> rkhunter to ignore even looking in /dev/shm, that would be perfect!

Hello,

Well as far as I remember there are two tests that might look in
'/dev/shm'. One is the 'suspscan' test, but that is disabled by default.
The other is the 'filesystem' test. You can either disable the entire
test (see DISABLE_TESTS in the config file), or run the test only on
files actually in '/dev' (not the sub-directories). To do this set
SCAN_MODE_DEV=LAZY in the config file.

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001