At 10:36 2002-03-14 -0800, Nick Arnett wrote:
>[with Python] I'm not seeing long, mysterious time-outs as I occasionally
>did with LWP.

I have never run into this problem, but I have a dim memory that you may be
alluding to what is a known bug not with LWP, but with old versions (long
since fixed in modern Perls and/or CPAN) of the socket libraries in IO::*.

>Following an LWP request through the debugger is a long and convoluted
>journey...

Are you referring to perl -d, or LWP::Debug?

Maybe I should write an addendum to "lwpcook.pod" on figuring out what's
going wrong, when something does go wrong.  The current lwpcook really
needs an overhaul, and once my book /Perl & LWP/ is done (hopefully it'll
be in press within a few weeks), I hope to send up some big doc patches to
LWP, at the very least revamping lwpcook and then going into each class and
noting in the docs whether a typical user needs to bother knowing about
it.  (E.g., you need to know about HTTP::Response; you do /not/ need to
know about LWP::Protocol.)

In short, if people want to see improvements to LWP, email me and say what
you want done, and I'll either try my hand at implementing it, or I'll pass
it on to someone more capable.  LWP is not the product of a massive
bureaucracy, but of few enough people that you could fit all of us in a
phone booth.  We're all manically busy, to varying degrees (companies to
run, children to raise, books/articles/modules to write, etc.), but we do
at times manage to do what needs doing, if it's pointed out clearly enough
to stand out from the torrent of email messages (which I find incessantly
discouraging) that manage no better than "halo I try to use LWP with hotmel
but not work plz hlp k thx".

--
Sean M. Burke    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/

--
This message was sent by the Internet robots and spiders discussion list
([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  For list server commands, send "help" in the body of a message