On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Anton Oleynikov wrote:

Usability if you use and like the feature yes, it certainly is NOT if you don't use it and aren't used to it. (Like for me.)

Lest try to imagine this is not about existing users of RB.

As I see it, Rockbox is for everyone, be it old or new users.

Rockbox is made and designed by developers.

Yes, but for whom???

I don't see how this is relevant. Users are most often not skilled nor trained to make educated decisions on how the software should be done or work. They whine and request, sure, but we must take decisions on how the software should work because we see things in a wider perspective. At least we should, IMHO.

*We* should discuss and decide on what to do. And one of the main reasons we started this *dev list is so that we can bring back the good old mailing list developer discussions.

It looks different from where I stand (and I know I'm not alone on this): it looks like some of main leaders of the project are afraid to loose control and be "not so important" anymore as many bright developers are joining the project.

Seriously. You think every single developer should just commit whatever they think is "right" without discussing it with the rest?

I didn't say the "main leaders" would have anything more to say about any matters than anyone else nor did I intend it.

I'm just advocating that you discuss changes before you do them. This is nothing new. We've done it for years.

P.S. Project as whole is indeed defined by its leaders, so when one of them makes remark like this in the forum: "You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming into that mess." - credibility of the project is shaking :)

No, it is not shaking. I'm stating my opinions and I do believe that this particular thing (from where you extracted that quote) is a mess and I am very firmly against it.

I'm a single person, I don't speak for the Rockbox project, I speak for myself and about my personal opinions. When the day comes when we start to bend and think "what will everyone think if I state my opinion in public" then I think our project is doomed. We are not there. I will continue to write my opinion, weather you like them or not. Weather I am alone with that opinion or not.

You are entitled to consider my opinions wrong, bad or totally crazy. They're still mine.

With an open and free discussion things move forward.