Adam wrote:
Might it be a good idea to email the author of Gweled ...
I believe Gweled already packaged with Ubuntu (and maybe other linux
distros).

Well, it's not installed by default with Ubuntu, but is available as a downloadable package.

The description from Ubuntu's "synaptic" package installer:

"Gweled is a Gnome version of a popular PalmOS/Windows/Java game called "Bejeweled" or "Diamond Mine". The aim of the game is to make alignment of 3 or more gems, both vertically or horizontally by swapping adjacent gems. The game ends when there are no possible moves left."

The 'about' dialog in the game says:

Gweled 0.6
This is a GNOME port of the PalmOS/Windows/Java
game "Bejeweled" (aka "Diamond Mine").
Copyright (c) 2003-2004 Sebastien Delestaing

... and only lists himself under the credits of the software.

So I'm guessing that he's indeed had to deal with copyright issues considering that he's claiming copyright himself.

And the icons in his game look just like the original game as far as I can tell.

-id