That's where the 92% came from as the Archos can go up to +12dB (100%).

I see (never had one).

Sure, but 100% for 0dB and (say) 110% convey it just as well.

I don't think this is intuitive at all if it is not clear that 100%
refers to 0dB.

Seems pretty clear to me. No less clear than 0dB, especially for those that don't understand it.

And you'll get other problems.<snip>
or would you prefer a nonlinear scale where
0% is the minimum level of the specific hardware?

I'm saying that for an 'intuitive' value like a percentage, that's exactly what I would do. 0% is exactly mute (or closest there is), 100% is exactly 0db, anything over is >100. You could map each player's range fairly closely, but of course if you really want accuracy, dB is the way to go. As I said, consumer types will prefer the intuitive scale, techies will like dB. There is no ideal solution unless you make it optional.

Perhaps it's enough to add "dB" on the display to make it clear?

Yes, that's a good idea either way.
--
gl