Mike Holden wrote:
As a side debate (subject line altered appropriately), should it be
enabled by default?

Yes, I believe it should. I think the average user would appreciate if it by default sorted in the same way as most modern file browsers do, i.e natural sorting.

I would vote for new features which change existing functionality to be
disabled by default. Do we have a general policy on this?

There is no written policy, but the general opinion among us developers is that the defaults should be as "sensible" as possible for the first-time user.

Linus